SBIR/STTR Proposal Preparation Training
May 23 @ 8:00 am - May 24 @ 4:00 pm
Do you think you have a great business idea, but need funding?
Consider applying for SBIR/STTR grant funding.
As compared to traditional venture capital investments SBIR/STTR grants are:
- faster – company receives an answer on money in 9-12 months compared to 18 months with VCs
- more successful – companies have a much higher success rate with these grants than with venture capital
- similar amount of money – over 3 phases, you can receive up to $4.725 million from the NIH, comparable to an “A” venture round.
- Non-dilutive – grants are just that – grants. You don’t have to give up a financial stake in your company
BioSTL is hosting a free two-day SBIR/STTR training workshop to help companies navigate the application process.
Developing SBIR/STTR proposals is a complex process with a steep learning curve, but the impact of receiving $millions in non-dilutive funding is worth the effort! This 2-day workshop is timed to coincide with the September 5, 2017, National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) deadline and will provide detailed instruction on developing a competitive proposal for the NIH SBIR/STTR program.
The workshop will begin with SBIR/STTR basics, including eligibility requirements, participating agencies, the difference between SBIR/STTR, etc. as well as an overview of the NSF, DoD, DoE and USDA SBIR/STTR programs. Then we will take a deep dive into NIH proposal preparation, including:
- Strategies for targeting your proposal to address NIH’s mission/requirements
- How to approach each section of your proposal
- How to prepare a budget for your proposal (via webinar)
- Writing to meet reviewer expectations
- Planning your commercialization strategy
- Common problems and pitfalls and how to avoid them
The workshop is conducted by SBIR/STTR expert, Becky Aistrup, MBA, who has trained hundreds of individuals from SBIR novices to tenured faculty and experienced SBIR entrepreneurs. Grant and contracts management expert, Kris Bergman, will provide the budget preparation webinar. Both Becky and Kris are with BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting (BBCetc). BBCetc is nationally recognized for its expertise in helping emerging companies win federal funding through the SBIR and STTR programs and use it strategically to propel growth. Feedback from 20 years of attendees has overwhelming endorsed this session as a critical component in successful proposal development.