The NSF released their 2022 solicitation document January 13, 2022 and there are a
few noteworthy changes from the past solicitations:
- NSF increased the SBIR/STTR Phase I funding amount to a maximum of
$275,000 to better support the nation’s startups and small businesses, as part
of the recent federal adjustment for inflation.
- The NSF SBIR and STTR Phase I solicitations have been combined into a single
- The new, combined solicitation presents three Phase I submission windows
rather than four.
January 11, 2022 – March 03, 2022
March 04, 2022 – June 30, 2022
July 01, 2022 – October 26, 2022
- A new required format has been instituted for Biographical Sketches and Current
& Pending Support documents in NSF SBIR/STTR proposals.
Pricing and other documentation to support budget estimates is now not required
in the initial proposal submission.
- Letters of Commitment from consultants and subawardees should be included in
the “Other Supplementary Documents” section, rather than the Budget
- The project Budget Justification and subaward Budget Justifications are now
limited to five pages.
- Only one Project Pitch submission is permitted per applicant small business per
- The format and content of the “Elevator Pitch” section of the Project Description
have been modified.
Our team at BBCetc has templates, tutorials, and one-on-one coaching available for
your NSF application. Should you wish to work together, please start by filling out
our intake form and one of our consultants will contact you to schedule a free
assessment call to discuss your project.