Department of Energy (DOE)
- DOE is a “granting” agency
- Investigator-initiated projects within pre-defined topics and subtopics
- Peer reviewers evaluate proposals
- Can apply to both SBIR and STTR programs simultaneously
- A Letter of Intent (LOI) for all SBIR/STTR submissions to DOE is required, typically ~6 weeks prior to the Full Submission deadline
- Topics come out twice a year in Release 1 and Release 2. DOE divides the Offices that participate into the two releases. So effectively, specific offices (for example: Office of Science, Basic Energy Sciences) only issue topics once per year
- Two Phase I deadlines annually
- Release 1 due in October- Release 2 due in February- Limit of 10 proposals per release
- Phase I: 6-12 months $200,000-$250,000 Phase II: 24 months $1,100,000-$1,600,000
Step 1: Topics Issued
DOE announces their topics at least one month before the letters of intent are due. You must determine which topic and subtopic is an appropriate field for your technological innovation, and you may then email their listed technical contact for said topic to discuss your project.
Step 2: Submit your Letter of Intent
All DOE Phase I, Phase II, and extension applicants are required to submit a letter of intent (LOI) to be eligible to submit a full proposal. You may submit up to 10 different LOIs and each must be uniquely responsive to the topic and subtopic to which it is submitted. DOE will use this letter to determine reviewers and will only provide feedback to applicants when a LOI is deemed unresponsive. LOIs will be submitted through DOE’s PAMS (Portfolio and Award Management System) portal.
Step 3: Submit your Full Application
Full applications will be prepared on the DOE’s web portal, grants.gov, through a Workspace that is unique to a specific Funding Opportunity Number. Applications will be reviewed by an external peer review panel, and notifications will be announced 2-3 months after the full application deadline.
BBCetc’s team are DOE experts who offer one-on-one assistance with proposal development. To start working with BBCetc, please complete and submit our online Assessment Form. Then we will set up a free call to talk about your project, answer questions and decide on next steps.