National Institutes of Health SBIR/STTR
NIH announces the 2023/2024 cohort for the Technical and Business Assistance (TABA) Consulting Services for NIH Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Phase II or Phase IIB awardees. TABA Consulting Services are part of...
- See the current Open Solicitation dates
- NIH is both a “granting” and a “contracting” agency (but 95% of funding goes toward grants)
- Peer reviewers evaluate proposals
- Offers both SBIR and STTR programs
- Three standard deadlines per year for Omnibus solicitation: September 5, January 5, April 5; Off-cycle deadlines for targeted FOAs; One deadline for contract solicitations, typically in October
- Phase I: 6 months – 2 years $275,766 Phase II: 1-3 years $1,838,436
- Offers Phase I, Phase II, FastTrack, Direct to Phase II, and Phase IIB funding
- Allows for budget waivers to exceed budget caps for special topics
- Typical success rates: Phase I: ~11-19% Phase II: ~25-42%
- Note that different Institutes/Centers may have different requirements
Step 1: Determine target Institute(s) and Communicate with a Program Director (Not required, but recommended)
Determine a target Institute(s) at NIH where your project may have the best fit. BBCetc’s team of NIH consultants can advise regarding best fit for your project and how to approach the Program Director.
Step 2: Full Proposal
A full proposal includes a Research Plan and other components, such as Biosketches, Facilities and Other Resources, Vertebrate Animals Section, PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information, and detailed budgets. You must submit all required components and follow the instructions in the solicitation as well as rules regarding page limits and format.
Step 3: Prepare and submit application
NIH proposals are prepared and submitted through their online portal, ASSIST.
Step 4: Proposal Review and Decision
Proposals are reviewed by members of a Study Section, who will score your proposal in five categories: Significance, Innovation, Investigators, Approach, and Environment. You will receive feedback in a Summary Statement 2-3 months after submission and be notified 6-9 months after submission whether your proposal will be funded.